Monday, March 10, 2008

I Love Kathryn Jean Lopez

I've been taking a "fast" from politics this season. I'll vote in the November election, for sure, but until then I've been trying to limit my exposure to primaries, back-stabbing, conjecturing, and everything else that goes along with pre-election gyrations. All that said, I couldn't help reading Kathryn Lopez' article on HRC. Below are some snippets from the article:


Further, Clinton’s defeat this year would mark a significant milestone for American women: both the death knell for the liberal-feminist movement in America, and the end of the silly girl-power talk on the national political scene. Hillary has been a frontrunner — we know it can be done. Now we can all move on and let female candidates run on their merits, without the heavy servings of identity politics.

Given that the nation is at war against a determined enemy who will continue the battle regardless of who wins in November, Americans need a candidate who is not playing the identity-politics game; a candidate whose executive experience is more than pillow talk with a president. I have the audacity to hope that the next woman who runs for the nation's highest office will do so because she is qualified to be commander-in-chief, not because she’s a Uterian-American. And that, until then, Americans will say “no” to the girl politics.


Go Kathryn Jean Lopez. Keep articles like this coming.

1 comment:

McBean said...

Wow, that's articulate! I concur!