Friday, December 19, 2008

Anticipation

I've been thinking about gift giving lately. Go figure, right?

As I've thought about giving gifts and receiving gifts, I've also thought about the word anticipation. I think anticipation should be a major component of gift giving and receiving. It's like an essential ingredient to the whole process.

The dictionary definition is "to look forward to; to be before (another) in doing something; expect, hope." If we lack anticipation in our giving and receiving, I think we miss the joy involved in the process. Anticipation creates suspense, which creates positive tension. This tension finds exhilarating release when the gift is fulfilled.

So in some small way, I've experienced this idea of anticipation as I've given my small gifts to friends. Through the process the questions have come to mind: How much do I anticipate the greatest Gift of all? How much am I anticipating the Return of the King? How much am I reveling in the Gift He has given? And the fulfillment of the Gift when we are reunited with Him?

How much anticipation do you have? Are you allowing the time necessary to create the anticipation? Are you enjoying the process, waiting with excited patience, knowing that the seemingly delayed gift will be sweeter with each passing day between now and the time you receive it?

3 comments:

Dominic said...

I posted my reply here.

Becks said...

I want Him here more than anything, and I pray everyday He'll come soon. I guess having a circumstantially sucky life helps me wish for greater things - kinda morbid, but there it is.

Kellybird said...

lovely post and to be quite honest, i have not ever thought about "anticipating" my lord's return.... it is an interesting thought, though... especially when we view his return as a gift.