Monday, April 20, 2009

Reflections from Sunday

John 21 - Jesus appears to Peter

agape love - self sacrificing
philos love - close friendship or brotherly love

Jesus: Peter, do you love me more than these (with agape love)?
Peter: Yes Lord, you know that I love you (with philos love).

Jesus: Peter, do you love me (with agape love)?
Peter: Yes Lord, you know that I love you (with philos love).

Jesus: Peter, do you love me (with philos love)?
Peter: Yes Lord, you know that I love you (with philos love).

Before Peter denied Jesus three times before the crucifixion, he answered Jesus with an "agape love" answer. Then his entire identity as a follower of Christ was shaken to the core when he denied Jesus. Here Jesus engages Jesus and Peter responds with honesty - he reiterates that Jesus knows all things and he is honest about his own (in)ability to love (with agape love). Jesus pushes the agape love issue, then meets Peter where he is at. Jesus asks Peter for philos love and Peter responds with a willingness to do what Jesus asks - to feed His sheep. Even as Peter's identity is shaken, and he can only respond with philos love, the course of the rest of his life shows his agape love for Christ.

May I, like Peter, obey Christ even when I don't feel worthy. May I never have false humility that says, "I can't do that, I'm not deserving of that position, etc." Like Peter, may I obey even if the core of my faith is shaken.

No comments: