Thursday, May 9, 2013

Courage in the ordinary

Reading this blog post was like drinking a creamy, frothy, hot chai latte on a cold rainy day. It was comforting and a little spicy. Comforting in that it reminded me that we "change the world" one little courageous act of faithfulness or kindness at a time. Spicy in that it challenged me to evaluate my current status against the "ordinary".

Most of the time, I don't understand why I'm where I'm at in my life - vocationally, mostly. Conceptually, I know that I'm here due to a combination of my own choices and God's design. But I don't really understand why I'm here.

And where's here, you may ask. Here is currently at executive training at a large conference center for a rather largish company. This company sells IT (information technology (computer) (that little explanation is for you, Mom)) services and accompanying hardware and software. I don't really like computers other than the communication outlet they provide me. I really only like technology when it advances or enhances my creativity. So the "here" in my life may (does) seem a little ill-fitting.

The "here" in the bigger sense is a career as an executive in this rather largish company. Is it what I ultimately would've chosen for myself? No. Is it where I am right now? Yes. Is it where God wants me to be ordinary and faithful and kind? Yes. Could He call me into a different direction soon? Possibly. Could He leave me "here" for the rest of my earthly life? Possibly.

The article helped me understand that instead of "changing diapers and doing dishes", my ordinary calling is to run a business and a team and provide value to clients. It reminded me that no matter what I'm doing with my life (by choice or the by the Hand of God), my duty and privilege is to be courageously ordinary and faithful and kind. And this ordinary life is easily transferable and transitional - if I'm faithful in this current ordinary "here", He will be faithful to give me the next ordinary "there" in His time and His place. If we are faithful in little, He will give us much. That is ordinary and comforting and a little spicy, too.

3 comments:

Gary said...

Well said, dear daughter...and dare I say you've gone faintly liturgical in your outlook here. There is, after all, the concept of "ordinary time" interspersed throughout the ecclesiastcal seasons. And you'vediscovered that "ordinary time" is rather extraordinary in its own right.....

Gwendolyn1946 said...

Your last paragraph was just a superb compilation of the other woman's blog.I love how you think. How you process things. I think of myself quite a bit younger than you trying to change the world from inside the ghetto and how my failure nearly destroyed me.You are so much wiser than I was. Even today I so struggle with the ordinary. While your dad is out truly changing the world, I am happy if I can change a few raw photos into something beautiful...but again, that is the ordinary I must be content enough to accept. thank you for all your thoughts. Love you. Mom

kimmie said...

Interesting...I went to high school with the author. Small world :)

Miss you and hope to see you soon!