Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Peace and pain





I recently made the impossibly hard decision to give my horse Wilbur to my friend Shelly. This decision had a long approach, a long runway, and a quick take off.

I have had two wonderful horses for five years now and as Caspian grew into the great horse he has become, it became more and more apparent that I just didn't need two horses, financially or logistically.

Caspian has grown into my "go-to" horse and Wilbur was getting less and less attention. Shelly bought her dream farm last Fall and now has the perfect facility to take Wilbur on. While the makings of this decision were a long time coming (2+ years), the actual execution was quick and painful.

I've learned through this that you can have complete peace surrounding a decision and still have deep accompanying pain. Peace and pain do co-exist, and together they produce a strange mix of hope and hurt.

4 comments:

Gwendolyn1946 said...

Well and succinctly said, my dear. I wish we had had 5 beautiful grass-laden acres to invite said Wilbur to, but alas, did not and concur that your decision, though immediately painful will ultimately be for everyone's good. Love you.

btorgy said...

Truly a hard decision! I had the same when I traded Callie for my present horse, Sue. It took me probably 2 years to finally decide that I had to find a new home for Callie. And I thank God for the loving home she now has, and the perfect horse I now have in her place. But you are right, it was a painful journey.

kmac said...

Mom, thank you for encouraging me to write about it. I needed to. Love you.

Gary said...

"Me, too" on the "if we had five grassy acres...." I'd love a Wilbur in my life, but can't bear to inflict this infernal desert on any horse.... Hang in there, dear/love/dad