Monday, February 3, 2014

on being challenged

I'm traveling to Chicago this week to a new client. This will also include a new work team. New location. New responsibilities. New demands. New expectations. Unknown challenges. Unknown opportunities.

I don't like change. It depresses me. I like things in my life to be normal, routine-based, rhythmic, and predictable. But I'm learning that life on this earth doesn't operate that way at all.

I look forward to eternity where things won't change and where I'll be with the Unchanging God who loves my soul.

It seems that because He loves my soul, He continues to keep me uncomfortable and challenged. For this is where I change and grow. That is where I'm most aware of His Unchangeableness (and I may have just made up a word). When I'm challenged, I keep my eyes on Him. When I'm comfortable, I, well, get comfortable and develop a false sense of security in the material things around me.

So here's to being uncomfortable and challenged!

"If it doesn't challenge you, it won't change you." Zig Ziglar

2 comments:

Gwendolyn1946 said...

Yes, yes, yes! Remember the stagnant waters we prefer to leave undisturbed? Life really doesn't give us that option, does it? I love your courageous, undaunted attitude and I applaud your fortitude. Bravo my dearest.

Gary said...

Nothing like a nice warm rut, I always say--routine is bliss, predictability heavenly, orderliness, divine. Alas, not all see life in such ways, so we are confronted upon occasion with change. And it's seldom a comfortable thing to confront, though usually less painful once the commitment is made. At least you have the same framework of IBM, and hopefully familiar objectives and processes. Just make the effort to engage and get to know your new team, and I suspect you'll soon find comfortable new routines emerging....