Monday, June 2, 2014

721

I don't know why, but I've been thinking a lot about my dad, my biological dad, lately. His AZ Highway Patrol badge number was 721, and I've been seeing that number a lot lately, mostly on my phone at 7:21am and 7:21pm.

I wonder what he would look like now that he would be in his 60s. Would his hair be sandy grey? Would he still love peanut butter? How would his life experiences have shaped his faith and walk with God? What would his friends be like? What would our relationship be like? Would we be close? Would I confide in him? Would I ask him for advice on life and love and hard things? What would it be like to stand next to his 6 foot 7 inch frame? Would I feel small?

When I see 721, I always think of him. I think of him when I hear the verse about "cloud of witnesses" in Hebrews 12. His faith still impacts my faith today: though it was short-lived, it was bright and vibrant and spoken. I wonder if my faith will ever have that same reflection?

Reminders of him are always sweet and sometimes poignant for the reasons above. I sometimes long for eternity, where a lot of these questions will be answered.

No comments: