Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Worry


Sitting on a bus back home
I watch the scenery pass. A field
Of round bales, a manufacturing
Plant, the Colorado River, and a
Few cows. They go by quickly, as
The scene changes from big Texas
City to Lone Star countryside.

This morning was busy, between
Customer meetings and calls to the
Vet. The seconds and minutes added
Up, but not as quickly as the items on my
To do list and the thoughts in my head.



This week has been a weird one.
My heart heavy for family, heavy
For friends, and heavy for furry friends.
It seems that worry could easily
Set in and take over any space saved
For prayer and surrender.

Rummaging through old photos last
Night in my hotel room, I came across
One of Jess lifting up a dandelion with
The threads floating off into the bright
background. It struck me that this is how
I want worry to look in my life:
Offering it up to God, watching it flit away
Into the Son’s bright grace.

It’s the offering-up part that is hard.  It
Requires that I pick the worry up, lift
It up, and let go of it. This doesn’t just
Happen, but requires exerted effort and
And willingness to do so. 

I pray that just as on that bright summer
Day on the mountain, Jess lifted up the
Dandelion to the sky and watched it melt
Away, I would offer up this worry
And watch it melt away with each mile
Adding up on this bus ride home.

No comments: