Sunday, December 18, 2016

Today

Today was a good day, and
a hard day. A mixture of the
deeply familiar, the beauty of
the mountain, and the chill
of Winter.

The afternoon was spent trekking
up to the Mountain, God's Mountain,
me with two nephews in tow, following
the rest of the McGary clan. Mat Kearney
playing, sipping fresh coffee, and heading
up to the place that has my heart.


The past few days have been hard, as
I made one last journey with Mr. Darcy's
ashes, kept safely with a dear friend these
past few weeks. I cried when she handed
them to me, and I cried again in church,
the anniversary of his diagnosis last year.

I'm thankful for the gift he was,
this beautiful mountain that will be his resting place,
and for faithful friends who have intercepted my
tears and shed their own tears with me.

Bringing him up here, to what will
be his final resting place, brought a measure
of needed closure. It will be spring before we
can bury his ashes, as the ground is already
frozen. But he is safe in the little trailer,
surrounded by the leafless aspens and the place
we call Home.

So in the chill of Winter, I left my faithful
friend up on God's Mountain, my furry friend
who will always have my heart, in the place
that has my heart. Today was a hard day, but
a good day.

No comments: