Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Further thoughts on my letter to Steve Jobs

 1) I think my letter was lacking in grace and, consequently, love. How would my tone have changed if I were standing in front of Mr. Jobs appealing to him in person? Would he have heard any love? Would he have seen grace? Or would my words have been a "clanging gong"?

2) As I was reading through Romans 8 (versus 31 - 39), I found myself reading and re-reading verse 36 - "For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered." This passage that talks about God's position being one where He will never leave or lose us and our position as sheep losing life. Verse 36 is not a pleasant verse for me and I must admit that I too often gloss over it when reading this (favorite) passage.

I am a Christian. I follow a "King who died for His enemies and forgave his foes". He also cleaned out the temple and challenged the Samaritan woman at the well. As His follower I need to be ready to show that same kind of love and truth, albeit at the level of a fallen human. Can I simultaneously challenge people, including Mr. Jobs, on their reasoning and positions and show the love and grace that God extends?

I would challenge my fellow Christians to wrestle with ideas and stand up for truth while applying a large dose of humility and love (of which my letter lacked).  I would also challenge them to never lose sight of the fact that we are "sheep heading for slaughter" who are never out of the Hands of our loving, seeing Father.

No comments: