Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Thoughts on vocation and calling

I think there are a couple types of people when it comes to the category of vocation and calling:

A) Those who have clear vision as well as gifting to a specific task.
B) Then there are those who God seems to let pick their own course and they just do it, because they are either good at it and it makes good money or it comes easy to them or all three.
C) The third category are those who seem to only get one step at a time in knowledge of what they are to do next and their only clear direction is to follow God and trust him with just that next step.

I would put myself somewhere between B and C. I like business and it comes fairly easy to me and I am successful in it, but I have to trust God with the big picture part of it, because I'm still not sure what His plans are for me in it.

I would put a couple close family members in category A. They had/have a specific and clear calling, they were/are naturally gifted at it, had/have the passion for it, and saw/see themselves in that future very clearly.

All three categories require trust and humility:

B - because it's easy to pick the well traveled path and avoid the difficult ones, and miss God's urging to do harder things (David (if I may be so bold as to use biblical examples to show my point)).
C - because you can't see your next step and need to rely on Him for that (Joseph).
A - because God can, at one or two or more points, ask you to lay those clear plans on the altar (Abraham).

The comforting thing is this: with the A or B or C person, if there is a willingness to humbly follow him in trust, ultimately you will end up where God called you to, but in ways far beyond what you could think or imagine.

Something to challenge you with.

1 comment:

biomcgary said...

No doubt what category I fall in. :-)