Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Perspective

Lately I've been reminded of the importance of perspective. It's hard to keep it and easy to lose it.

  • Friends who have lost their beloved pets. Reminds me to cherish the time I have left with mine and laugh at his silly antics and kiss him goodnight and take him for his greatly anticipated daily walks.
  • The persecuted church around the world. Reminds me to be grateful I can freely read my Bible and go to church without fear of death.
  • Friends with young kids. Reminds me to be grateful for uninterrupted Sunday afternoon naps and outings with friends to Starbucks whenever I want. This is particularly poignant when sometimes the desire for marriage and companionship and family rings so loudly I can't hear much else.
  • A difficult season at work. And a reminder from a godly man older than I to stop putting so much attention on what hasn't gone well and instead to focus on what has gone well and areas where I have succeeded.
  • A sermon on the end of life. And a reminder to live life hard and fast inside the lines. Take opportunities and don't be afraid and all the while live smartly and with courage.
  • A hot Texas summer. A reminder to cherish memories of vacations in cooler countries.
Mr. Darcy about ten years ago.

Melrose Abbey, Scotland




No comments: