Tuesday, January 26, 2016

She gave


I hurried down the street
Alison Krauss playing through my earbuds
Stresses from customer demands
And company pressures
Tangling my thoughts and joy.

Why does life have to be so hard?
I thought as I walked to pick up
My meal. Nice boots clicking on
The pavement, new skirt swishing
In the breeze.

How am I going to handle this stress?
Can one person meet these
Demands of boss and customer all
In a day? My eyes on my feet and
The questions taking control.

I look up to cross the street and
Our eyes meet. Her cloudy eyes
In a disfigured face, her limp on
A deformed body. Clothes dirty and
Crumpled, hat askew.

She smiled. At me. We were from
Two completely different planets
Passing at the same second, the
Same brick, the same street light.
She smiled. And she gave.

She gave to me a sign of joy. She gave
Warmth on a cold blustery day. She
Gave from her nothing to me who has
Everything and I took. I took her smile
And sealed it in my heart.

A seal to remember that I received from her
Who had nothing to give. A seal to remind
Me that I always have joy and warmth and
And a smile to give, even if the day wears
Me out. I have much to give.

No comments: