Monday, November 19, 2012

Never Forget

Today is the anniversary of my dad's death. We will never forget.

I love Hebrews 12:1-12, and it reminds me that we have a great cloud of witnesses who have gone before us into eternity, after an earthly life of faith in God's promises. I count my dad as one of these witnesses. While he was only a believer for a few short years before his death, he was a dynamic follower of Jesus and was not afraid to share his faith with those around him. Years after his death, fellow officers would frequently share of his witness to them about God's love and salvation and the impact his life had on theirs.

I've lived in the shadow of my dad's death, the annual dark anniversary for my mom, and my own desire for more memories of him. But what shines clearest for me is his vibrant faith. His faith left a legacy and has been one of the "stakes in the ground" for my own faith. It's also made me acutely aware that life is short and "but a vapor" and we know not when our call into eternity will come. His life and death challenges me to live a life of faith and trust and belief that Hebrews 12 is real and good and we will come to the Kingdom that cannot be shaken.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sending hugs your way, friend. What a blessing for Father's to leave such a legacy. Love ya!
Tiff

Gary said...

One thing that always comes to mind about your daddy was the comment by a CCSO sergeant quoted in the local paper: "he even treated the prisoners like people." That always spoke to me, and is a reminder that one can be Christlike even when your company is not all that you might wish it to be....