Friday, March 6, 2009

Frustrated?

I think I'm frustrated that there seems to be an antithesis, or at least significant tension, between pursuing the career while also desiring to be a wife and mom. The two just don't seem to fit together.

The season/path I am in/on is the career. I have been given and taken career opportunities and there are bound to be new ones in the future. I am pursuing them with everything in me.

But during my pursuit, I can't help but think that I met a fork in the road somewhere back there between career and family and (not really out of choice) I'm running down the first. All the while I run down the career path I have lingering (and sometimes annoying) thoughts that this path isn't compatible to what is expected of a Christian-thirty-something woman. Shouldn't I be at home with kids making dinner for the husband when he gets home from work? Or something like that...?

I look around and... there's my computer (and Mr. Darcy). There is a job, a career, a boss to work for, and projects to complete.

I recently heard that singles should run hard toward the opportunities that God has given them and utilize their singleness for His Kingdom as effectively as they can. And if they look over and see that person running alongside them down the same path, they should get married. I like this.

So in the midst of my frustrated thoughts, I'll keep running. As I run, I'll pray for clarity and resolution for my frustrated thoughts and throw expectations to the wind. And let God prompt me to look left or right in His timing.

4 comments:

Gwendolyn said...

Beautiful. I like your perspective. Sounds strong, healthy and very pliable and sensitive to God's leading. Love you, Mom

kmac said...

Thank you, Mom. Your words mean a lot. Hug.

Dustin and Tiffany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
McBean said...

I think your perspective is healthy... and thinking about these things carefully is healthy too. Keep running and I'll be running next to you. I love you!